R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company
Winston Salem, North Carolina
J. Reynolds Tobacco Company is the second-largest tobacco company in the United States, offering products in all segments of the market and makes many of the nation’s best-selling cigarette brands, including: Camel, Pall Mall, Kool, Winston, Salem, Doral, and VUSE brand E-cigarette.
Scope of Work:
Armstrong International is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the utilities systems at the Tobaccoville and Whitaker Park Boiler and Process Services plants including all associated equipment to provide quality steam, condensate, chill water, compressed air, and water treatment to meet ISO, FDA, and process requirements of the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company manufacturing facilities.
Armstrong provides one site manager, two operation and maintenance managers as well as 35 operation and maintenance support employees, which includes 18 utility plant operators, one water treatment specialist, four operations and maintenance lead technicians, 11 HVAC and instrumentation technicians, and four mechanical maintenance technicians to furnish continuous plant staffing.
R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company now has on-site utility expertise motivated to continually reduce cost and focus on utility system reliability at two separate manufacturing locations. They also have access to all of Armstrong’s extensive utility/energy engineering resources including the following:
- Annual engineering audits
- Identification/development of energy conservation measures
- Operating procedural development
- Safety and environmental training
- Accountability using web-based tools
- Technical training for operations and maintenance cross training
- Implementation of water chemistry tracker
- Project support for new equipment installation and startup
- Technical support for operating, maintaining, upgrading, and refurbishment of existing facility utility equipment